95-foot iconic tree rises on Galleria Ice Skating Rink November 6-9, 2016
The most iconic holiday image in North Texas is the spectacular 95-foot Galleria Dallas Christmas tree. More than six million guests visit the center and its iconic tree during the holiday season. The three-day building process is itself quite a production.
- Debuting in 1984, the Galleria Dallas holiday tree is the tallest indoor holiday tree in the U.S.
- The holiday tree is four stories tall and towers 95 feet above the ice-skating rink. It is topped by a 100-pound, 10-foot-tall LED star (the first of its kind in the U.S.).
- It displays 450,000 twinkling LED lights, 10,000 colored ball ornaments and more than 1,700 branches.
- More skaters ice-skate around the tree than around the one at Rockefeller Center in NYC during the holiday season (we don’t shut down during bad weather).
- It takes nearly 12 months and more than 100 people to plan and participate in the Macy’s Grand Tree Lighting Celebration and skate shows. Celebrity skating talent selection begins in the spring. Children enrolled in the skating school session titled “Theater on Ice” commit for one year.
- The indoor fireworks were added in the annual tree lighting shows in 1993. Since then, we have developed new and better effects each year.
- During each Grand Tree Lighting Celebration, “Missile Toes,” the back-flipping Santa Claus shoots fireworks off his skates.
- The Santa suit for Missile Toes (our ice-skating Santa) has a customized pyrotechnical system built into the outfit that took more than five years to develop. Due to Santa’s pyrotechnics, the suit must be flame-retardant and also features special technology to shoot fire from Missile Toe’s skates.
- During the Illumination Celebration, the tree lights flash to specially orchestrated music.
- It takes nearly 50 of Santa’s helpers almost 48 hours to erect the tree and a total of 40 people, working five days, to install all of the holiday interior décor, including Santa’s Village.
- There are 44 palm trees lining Level 3. When wrapped, they add another 50,000 LED lights. Two 36-foot trees, two 12-foot trees and six 9-foot trees are also on display throughout the shopping center. They have approximately 40,000 more LED lights.
- 640 nuts, bolts and washers hold the holiday tree together.
- The holiday tree weighs 5 tons (equivalent to 10 cars).
- Galleria Dallas employs 60+ Santa-suited parking attendants during the holidays and 20 Dallas police officers to help direct traffic.
- The Parkway is adorned with 30 trees wrapped in 100,000 red LED lights and a grand 36-foot holiday tree at the entrance with 30,000 LED lights and 2,000 ornaments.
- 10 palm trees in The Alley are wrapped in 20,000 red LED lights.
Galleria Dallas is an iconic shopping center with a unique collection of more than 200 retailers, restaurants and experiences including a flagship Belk, Nordstrom, Macy’s, the world’s only GAP, Banana Republic and Old Navy combo anchor, a market-exclusive American Girl, The Westin Galleria Dallas hotel and the signature Galleria Ice Skating Center. Welcoming more than 19 million visitors annually, only Galleria Dallas delivers the consummate Dallas shopping experience. Visit http://www.galleriadallas.com for hours and to learn more about the shopping center. Galleria Dallas is managed by Simon Property Group, Inc. Galleria Dallas, 13350 Dallas Parkway, Dallas, Texas, 75240.
For Social Media: @GalleriaDallas #GalleriaDallas #GalleriaHoliday
# # #